Nigel Clough has turned down a switch to Nottingham Forest in order to remain manager of Burton Albion.
Clough made his professional debut at the City Ground, while his father Brian led Forest to the First Division title in 1977-78 before claiming back-to-back European Cups in the following two seasons.
An agreement between Clough, who returned for a second spell at the Pirelli Stadium in 2015, and Burton meant he would be granted permission to discuss terms with Forest should they make an approach.
Forest are on the hunt for a new manager after dismissing Philippe Montanier this month, but Clough has turned them down, amid wild uncertainty at the club as owner Fawaz Al-Hasawi faces a backlash over failed attempts to sell the club.
Clough said: Having sta…
The Leeds fan who confronted Newcastle manager Eddie Howe late in Saturday’s 2-2 Premier League draw has been charged with assault by West Yorkshire Police.
Leeds have banned the supporter for life after he climbed out of the stands at Elland Road and entered the technical area where the altercation with Howe took place, before he was quickly led away.
West Yorkshire Police have confirmed that the man has been charged with assault and will appear before magistrates in July.
Police have charged a man with assault and entering the field of play following an incident at Elland Road football stadium during the Leeds United versus Newcastle United football match yesterday.
The man has been bailed to appear before magistrates on 21 July.
— West Y…
Best Odds: 19/20
Bookmaker:
With a spot in the final of this season’s Champions League still hanging firmly in the balance, Manchester City will welcome Real Madrid to the Etihad on Wednesday night.
Manchester City
Starting with the hosts, while Manchester City might have been disappointed after settling for a first-leg 1-1 draw out in Madrid last week, it is no secret that Pep Guardiola’s side are seen as a standout contender to claim a maiden European crown this season. Last seen over the weekend picking up some perfect momentum as they cruised their way to a 3-0 romp away at relegation scrappers Everton, the Premier League heavyweights have their sights set on completing a famous domestic and European sweep in 2023. With the mood around the Etihad at a r…
Paris Saint-Germain coach Laurent Blanc has stated that both Yohan Cabaye and Miralem Pjanic are targets for the Ligue 1 leaders.
Newcastle United midfielder Cabaye has long been admired by Blanc, who worked with the former Lille man during his spell in charge of the France national team.
The 48-year-old is hoping to bring Cabaye to the Parc des Princes, but revealed Pjanic, who left Lyon for Roma in 2011, could be signed as an alternative.
Yes, Pjanic is interesting, Blanc said at a press conference on Friday. He could be a good alternative to Cabaye.
They are both targets for PSG; they are very technical players who have the same profile.
Blanc offered a positive update on the fitness of 18-year-old Adrien Rabiot, who suffered knee ligament damage in the…
Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone expects Raul Garcia to receive a rousing reception on his return to the Vicente Calderon and says his partnership with Aritz Aduriz at Athletic Bilbao is one of the best in La Liga.
Garcia departed the capital club for San Mames a little over three months ago and his return is an intriguing sub plot in Sunday s encounter.
The 29-year-old is held in high regard by the Atletico faithful after he helped them win the Liga title and reach the Champions League final in 2013-14, while he also counts the Europa League, Copa del Rey and two Super Cups on his list of achievements.
Garcia s arrival at Athletic has helped bring the best out of experienced striker Aduriz and the 34-year-old has 10 goals in 14 league outings this term.
Verdict: Atletico Madrid win to nil
Best Odds:
Bookmaker:
Hoping to continue on their eye-catching return from the enforced break, Atletico Madrid will face off against Alaves at the Estadio Wanda Metropolitano on Saturday night.
Atletico Madrid
Starting with the hosts, picking up a 1-0 win away at Levante in midweek and finding a route back into the top-four, the mood in Atletico Madrid s camp should be at a high following their return from the enforced break. Along with knocking defending European champions Liverpool out of the Champions League in the most dramatic of fashion at Anfield back in March, Los Colchoneros have collected 10 points out of a possible 12 since the return to action. With their recent purple patch highlighted by what was a r…
Ajax kept up their winning start in Champions League Group H as Dani Parejo s penalty miss proved costly for Valencia in a 3-0 away victory for Erik ten Hag s side.
Hakim Ziyech broke the deadlock in stunning fashion eight minutes in, setting the tone for a thrilling tussle which could have swung in Valencia s favour had Parejo not skied his spot-kick.
Quincy Promes thumped in Ajax s second after Parejo s miss and the woodwork denied Rodrigo and Ziyech at either end before half-time.
Dusan Tadic – who teed up Ziyech s opener – passed up a golden chance to further Ajax s lead after the interval, but he atoned by setting up Donny van de Beek, who duly ensured last season s semi-finalists made it two wins from two.
Our Donny.
— AFC Ajax (@A…
(GSM) Twente close in on a deal to sign Marc Janko from Red Bull Salzburg.
The Dutch side, who were crowned champions last season, have targeted the Austrian striker to replace Swiss international Blaise N Kufo who has left the club to join Seattle Sounders.
Janko won the Austrian title with Salzburg in the last two years and scored an impressive 39 goals in 34 matches in the 2008/09 campaign. Last year he managed to net 18 goals in 34 matches.
Twente will be active in the Champions League next season and hope to bolster their attack. The former club of Steve McClaren already lost attackers Marko Arnautovic (to Werder Bremen), Miroslav Stoch (Fenerbahce) and N Kufo.
…
Fabio Capello claims England s win over Slovenia has liberated his squad from the demons of self-doubt that haunted their faltering first steps at this World Cup.
If he is right, the evidence of a successful exorcism will be presented here on Sunday in the last 16 clash with Germany.
On paper, it is a match in which an England side stuffed with experienced Champions League campaigners should comfortably prevail over opponents with an average age below 25.
World Cup history suggests it will not be that simple.
Capello can look back on the 2-1 win an injury-depleted England side recorded in Berlin in November 2008 as proof that his side are more than a match for opponents missing their injured skipper Michael Ballack.
But no England fan will need r…
Borussia Dortmund are the latest high-profile side to have joined the race for Barcelona starlet Alen Halilovic, .
The Catalans are prepared to send the talented youngster on a season-long loan and they initially hoped he would remain in Spanish La Liga.
But, while Celta Vigo are keen on his services, so are quite a few top sides from other European leagues.
The likes of West Ham, Everton and Hamburg have already expressed their interest, with Borussia Dortmund now joining the chase as well.
The Millionaires believe Halilovic can make an instant impact in German Bundesliga and will attempt to persuade him to choose Signal-Iduna Park.
According to the latest reports, Barcelona officials will allow the 19-year-old to choose his next destination, an…